Fire Safety Friday #14
West Harrison would like to thank everyone who attended our first National Night Out last Tuesday, October 4, that we hosted at station 1. We enjoyed getting to meet community members and letting them take a look at where their ESD tax dollars are going. We recieved great feedback from the community members that attended. West Harrison provided free hot dogs, chips, and drinks to everyone who attended, as well as fire safety bags for the children in attendance. Community members in attendance also got to see West Harrison's new engine make its first call after being placed in service. Pictures from the event can be found by following the link below.
As of October 10, 2016, a county wide BURN BAN has been issued for Harrison County. At this time, the burn ban does not limit the use of grills or burn barrels, only open fires. Please use extreme caution when dumping coals, disposing of cigarette butts, or operating any equipment that may disperse sparks or produce a lot of heat.
For any questions regarding the current burn ban, you may contact the Harrison County Fire Marshal's Office at (903)935-4870
BURN BAN LIFTED 8/20/2016
For the month of September 2016, West Harrison responded to the following calls:
6 Grass/Brush Fires
1 Vehicle Fire
1 Service Call (smoke in the area)
6 EMS Assists
West Harrison is proud to announce that our new Pierce Saber engine, 5514, is in service! We look forward to using 5514 for years to come to serve the residents of ESD #1
Fire Safety Friday #13
Do you have at least one fire extinguisher in your home? If not, you are already behind. Fire extinguishers are an important safety feature that should be present in your home. However, having a fire extinguisher present is not enough. You must also know how to use it. The video below will give you a brief explanation of how to use your fire extinguisher and why having one nearby and knowing how to operate it are important.
For the month of August 2016, West Harrison responded to the following calls:
1 Structure Fire
2 Residential Fire Alarms
3 Vehicle Fires
3 Outside Fires
4 EMS Assists
West Harrison National Night Out, October 4, 2016
Fire Safety Friday #12
Does your home have a natural gas heating system or stove? Do you have a generator for use during power outages? If so, you have encountered carbon monoxide gas. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is responsible for almost 500 deaths, and 20,000 emergency room visits annually. From 1999-2010, carbon monoxide was responsible for approximately 5200 deaths. Many of the reported carbon monoxide exposures stem from poorly maintained household systems; therefore, it is important to have a working CO detector in your home. The video below from the CDC will provide you with information on how to identify symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and tips to reduce exposure to dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.
Fire Safety Friday #11
In 2014, there were 2,745 structure fire related civilian deaths. Having a fire escape plan prepared and practiced by you and your family is an important aspect in making sure your family is able to escape as safely as possible in case of a structure fire. Do you have a fire escape route planned for you and your family in case of an emergency? The video below from Lufkin Fire Department will provide you with the steps needed to make a safe escape plan in case of a fire.
Fire Safety Friday #10
Do you know what you are supposed to do when an emergency vehicle comes up behind you on the road with their lights and siren on? Watch the video below from our friends at Tuscaloosa Fire and Rescue as they remind us to "Move to the Right for Sirens and Lights".